Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Coastal Riding Coming to a Close

Due to some recent developments, I decided after a few days into Northern California that I would be returning home once I reached San Francisco.The short period of riding I had left turned out to be insanely eventful, packed with bike trouble, hilarious riding companions, ravenous raccoons, gourmet style ramen dinners and beautiful sunsets over the ocean. These events went as such:

Bike trouble: Garry broke three spokes consecutively, having to repair his wheel again after each break and sometimes going for long stretches on a wobbly wheel. Eric, from Oregon, had pedal trouble, which announced itself with a loud screech at every pedal revolution  to anyone within a mile radius.

Hilarious riding companions: I found myself riding with four guys-Garry, Eric, Charlie and George-all four of which seemed to be in a competition to find out who is more indecisive. I say it was a four way tie. I am really not quite sure how we managed to complete anything let alone making mile progress. "Where should we eat? I don't know, where can we eat? Well, I want wifi. I am too hungry to decide. Let's get alcohol. Yea, what should we get? I'm good with whatever. Do you think this is enough?" And so it went. 

Ravenous raccoons: Seriously, the raccoons here are scary. Absentmindedly, I left food out in my panniers. From inside the tent one night, an eruption broke out that sounded like a  DEADLY wild boar fight. Turns out, four raccoons surrounded my bike managing to properly unzip my pannier and deplete my snack stash. I have since developed a deep hatred and slight fear towards raccoons. Another evening, we had barely arrived to the campsite before the glowing eyes shining in the dark surrounded the perimeter. 

Dinners: Garry and I discovered a tasty camp meal, which was contributing to a fuller wallet for San Fran. It starts with the standard meal of ramen noodles with added tuna. Then, cooking a packet of Idaho potatoes in the leftover broth. Filling and savory. 

Last but not least, the sunsets. There is nothing quite like riding along the ocean as the day is coming to an end and the sun is setting over a sparkly water landscape. 













No comments:

Post a Comment