Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Finish Line

I set out yesterday from Hancock, MD to ride the home stretch of 90 miles to officially complete my cross-country trek in Leesburg, VA. In order to make sure I could successfully do it, I had to warn my dad several times before and during my ride that he was not allowed to pick me up and if he tried to, I would promptly turn my phone off. 

 My four month journey came full circle on my last day of chilly riding on the leaf-covered C&O canal. I was overwhelmed with joy to be traveling alongside the stretch of trail and river that cultivated my love for the outdoors as a teenager, particularly when I reached Harper's Ferry to complete the last 25 miles. Ever since my family began spending our summers on that patch of the Potomac, I always dreamed of being able to ride to Harper's Ferry from my house. Incidentally, the first time I saw a touring cyclist was on the C&O canal, from which the desire to do it myself came instantaneously. Looking back to even one month prior to the trip, the possibility of being able to do such a ride seemed unreachable. Getting the gear was overwhelming, let alone actually loading the bike and using it. I rode the trail yesterday fully seeing how reachable it always was, and how much more I can explore and experience. 

As the end of my ride was approaching, so was the day's sunlight. I found myself in a race with the sun to White's Ferry. With five miles left of my ride, the sun beat me to the horizon. Cold, hungry and tired, I pedaled as fast as I could to be out of the dark trail using my headlamp to light the way. I arrived to the Ferry wonderfully surprised to find my parents waiting for me at the end of the trail with hugs and a box of hot wings! It was a perfect unexpected ending to a journey that will probably just keep on going. Over and Out. 















1 comment: